Zulu Nation Apologizes To Afrika Bambaattaa’s Alleged Victims [Details]
Rucuss staffJune 2, 2016
Zulu Nation issued an apology to the four alleged victims of founder Afrika Bamabaattaa
“We extend our deepest and most sincere apologies to the many people who have been hurt by the actions of Afrika Bambaataa and the subsequent poor response of our organization to allegations leveled against him,” said the statement, which was signed by nearly three dozen Zulu Nation members. “To the survivors of apparent sexual molestation by Bambaataa, both those who have come forward and others who have not, we are sorry for what you endured and extend our thanks to those who have spoken out for your bravery in bringing to light that which most of us were sadly unaware of, and others chose not to disclose.”
In addition to the organization’s condolences, it promised to further educate its members about sexual abuse, and how to seek justice for the alleged victims.
Bambaattaa was first accused of sexual abuse in April 2016. Ronald Savage told the New York Daily News that the hip hop pioneer sexually abused him as a teen. Bambaataa denied the allegations, saying he never laid a hand on Savage.
The Nation initially stood behind Bambaattaa, even calling Savage “mentally challenged” and suggested that the “so-called objective reporters have been compromised and controlled by U.S. government intelligence.” But when three others came forward, alleging that they were also abused, the Nation changed its tune.
Bambaattaa was removed from the organization on June 1, after the new allegations came to light, according to Zulu King EL.
“We have to rid ourselves of any potentially dangerous members and leaders,” he said. “If there are other victims that may be out there, we just want them to come forward and know that we stand behind the victims. We wanted to take a stance and let the world know we’re not for bashing any victims.”
More from Rucuss
- Afrika Bambaataa Says Sexual Abuse Claims ‘Baseless and Cowardly’
- 4 Brain Tricks to Improve Your Workout
- Rap Legends Join Forces To Open Hip-Hop Campus In New York
- Mendeecees Harris’ Victim Says She Was Coerced, Paid For Sex! [Details]
- Mendeecees Harris Found Not Guilty in Child Molestation Case! [Details]
- Mendeecees Harris Testifies, Denies Molesting 15-Year Old [Details/Photos]
- Will Mandeecees Harris Accept Plea Deal in Molestation Case? [Details]
- Dwyane Wade’s Ex-Wife Wins Court Battle, Doesn’t Have To Undergo Mental Evaluation [Details]
- Love & Hip Hop Atlanta Star Lil Scrappy Arrested! [Details]
- K. Michelle On Lance Stephenson: ‘He Needs To Be 23 And Slang D**k!’