Woman Who Lit Olympic Flame in Sochi Tweeted Racist Photo of Obama
Rucuss staffFebruary 7, 2014
Former Russian figure skater and member of Russian parliament Irina Rodnina lit the Olympic flame in Sochi on Friday, despite the backlash from her actions last fall.
Rodnina came under fire for what many perceived as racism in September, when she posted a photo on Twitter of President Barack Obama and Michelle Obama with a digitally manipulated image of a hand holding a banana superimposed over the couple.
Rodnina allegedly tweeted the photo during a time the U.S. and Russia were sparring back and forth on the possibility of a U.S. military strike on Syria.
Rodnina claimed she had been sent the photograph by friends in America, The Guardian reports. She would eventually delete the photo.
Outgoing U.S. Ambassador to Russia Michael McFaul tweeted at the time that the photo was “outrageous” and brought “shame to her parliament and country.”
Photos via Yahoo Sports and Twitter
More from Rucuss
- Olympic Ring Fail at Sochi Opening Ceremony Inspires T-Shirts [Photo]
- Russia Pokes Fun at Olympic Ring Malfunction in Closing Ceremony [Photos]
- Actor Mickey Rourke Says He Beat Sprinter Usain Bolt in a Street Race [Details]
- Russian Official Says Sochi Hotel Showers Are Under Video Surveillance
- 2012 Olympics: Highlights From the Opening Ceremony & Athletes Photos
- 2012 Olympics: Australia’s Liz Cambage Becomes First Woman to Dunk in Olympic History [Video]