Were Jennifer Lopez & Steven Tyler Fired From American Idol?
Rucuss staffJuly 14, 2012
Former American Idol judges Jennifer Lopez and Steven Tyler each announced their departures from the show in the same week.
Tyler released a statement about his departure on Thursday and Lopez called into the Ryan Seacrest show and announced her exit on Friday. Now a report has surfaced indicating that the two were fired, even though the show allowed them to bow out gracefully.
According to The Wrap, a source close to the negotiations confirmed that Lopez was given the axe when she asked for a $2 million raise that would raised her salary to $17 million. Lopez tried to put to rest the rumors that her exit was because of money. She told Seacrest that she was leaving for business reasons and that she was tired of passing up on other opportunities.
Fox decided not to pick up Tyler’s option, even though he said that he was moving on in order to refocus his energies with his rock band Aerosmith. Randy Jackson, who has been a judge since the show began, might be on his way out the door, too.
There are rumors flowing around that Fox executives Peter Rice and Kevin Reilly want to revamp the show and create Idol 2.0, factoring Seacrest in as an essential ingredient. Mariah Carey, Celine Dion and Mary J. Blige, Lenny Kravitz and Kanye West are among the names being passed around to replace Tyler and Lopez.
More from Rucuss
- Randy Jackson is Out as American Idol Judge
- Chris Brown Talks Rihanna, Jennifer Lopez & New Album ‘X’ [Video]
- Nicki Minaj Performs ‘Starships’ on American Idol [Video]
- Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Will Reunite With Cast Members of That 70s Show! [Details]
- Chris Brown Talks Drake, Frank Ocean & Tupac Comparsions [Video]
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Insults Nelly & Shantel Jackson During Interview, Nelly Responds