Wayde van Niekerk Reportedly Signs Biggest Endorsement Deal in Nike History
Rucuss staffAugust 21, 2016
Nike has signed Wayde van Niekerk to a lifetime deal.
ESPN’s Darren Rovell reports the contract is the largest single-athlete deal in Nike’s 46-year history. It also marks the first time that Nike has officially given a lifetime deal.
Wayde van Niekerk, a 24-year old South African track runner, is reportedly billed to earn as much as $30 million annually. According to Rovell, Wayde’s new deal “easily surpasses” the 10-year, $300 million deal NBA player Kevin Durant signed with Nike in 2014.
SportsOneSource reports that Wayde’s will have his own signature shoe line with Nike and is expected to wear them for all his track events, and Forbes predicts a $340 million sales from Wayne’s customised shoes annually.
Wayde van Niekerk competes in the 200 and 400 meters. He made history on Aug. 14, shattering a 17-year old World record in the 400 meters with a time of 43.03. Michael Johnson held the previous record with at time of 43.18.
More from Rucuss
- Kevin Durant’s Shoe Giveaway Causes Traffic Jam in Oklahoma
- Kevin Durant Appears in Back to the Future Commercial
- Even Escort Services Losing Money From NBA Lockout
- Amar’e Stoudemire Wants To Work At Footlocker [Video]
- NBA Fashion: Shane Battier Wears Purple Pants & Dwyane Wade Wears Neon Colored Shoes
- Diddy, Jay Z, & Drake Land on ‘Forbes Five’ List [Details]