Tyler, the Creator Arrested for Inciting a Riot at SXSW [Details]
Rucuss staffMarch 16, 2014
Tyler, the Creator was arrested for allegedly starting a riot during the South by Southwest festival over the weekend.
The Odd Future rapper, whose name is Tyler Gregory Okonma, was arrested at Austin-Bergstrom Airport on Saturday and booked for inciting a riot at his concert. It is a misdemeanor, which carries a penalty of up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine.
Tyler was released Saturday after posting a $25,000 bond. Hours later he performed at a sold-out show at the House of Blues in Dallas.
Police said Tyler provoked his fans to break through a barricade and past venue employees at the sold-out Converse/Thrasher “Death Match” event at Austin’s Scoot Inn on Thursday.
In a warrant, officers claim Tyler yelled for fans to push their way inside twice, and that a bartender tried protecting a woman from getting trampled on, but got punched in the face for it.
Tyler and members of the Odd Future were denied a visa to travel to New Zealand in February after officials there said they were a potential “public threat” because of past troubles, “including incidents at past performances in which they have incited violence.”
Watch footage from the concert below.
More from Rucuss
- Jay Z and Kanye West Bring The Throne to SXSW [Video]
- Tyler, the Creator Banned From the U.K. [Details]
- Wiz Khalifa And Amber Rose Wear Matching Outfits At SXSW [Photos]
- Lil Wayne’s Camp Denies Seizure Caused Concert Cancellation [Details]
- Chris Brown and His Girlfriend Karrueche Vacation in Dubai [Photos]
- Jay Z Celebrates 45th Birthday in Iceland [Photos]