Taxpayers Upset Over Paying Security Bill for Whitney Houston’s Funeral
Peaches GrantApril 8, 2012
Taxpayers in Newark, N.J. are furious that they have to foot the bill for extra security that was provided for Whitney Houston’s funeral.
Newark racked up $187,000 in police overtime during the late singer’s funeral on February 18, CBS 2 reports. While plenty of Newark residents were in support of the funeral being held in their city, they don’t think they should have to pay the bill. Many in Newark are already strapped for cash.
“I think it’s absolutely ridiculous when you have people who are unemployed and homeless,” Quincy Ruffin told CBS 2. “If they (the Houston Family) wanted it to go that far, do that much, they should have been the ones providing (security) for it.”
Now, that it’s been revealed the city has to pay for security, many are upset they couldn’t attend the funeral or be in close proximity to the church to watch from outside.
“I think it was a waste of time and then now we find out what happened and how she actually died, it makes you think twice saying was it worth it or not,” said resident Minerva DelValle.
But N.J. councilwoman Mildred Crump wants taxpayers to know that extra security was needed to ensure public safety. “If they (security) had not been there someone may have been trampled, seriously hurt,” she said.
Does Newark residents have a valid point?
More from Rucuss
- Ray J Misses Whitney Houston, Releases Statement About the Pop Icon
- Bobby Brown Leaves Whitney Houston’s Funeral After Entourage Couldn’t Be Seated
- Whitney Houston’s Funeral Program [Photos]
- Pastor Marvin Winans Assaulted and Carjacked in Detriot! [Details]
- Migos Reportedly Jump Sean Kingston, Gunfire Erupts
- Meek Mill Denies Involvement in Nicki Minaj Robbery