‘Steel Magnolias’ Remake In the Works With All-Black Cast
Rucuss staffOctober 12, 2011
Its been more than 20 years since “Steel Magnolias” hit theaters.
Now, Lifetime wants to remake the tear-jerker. The network is giving the movie a little twist this time around. The network is currently adapting the script of the 1989 film into a TV movie with a all-black cast.
According to Deadline, the redo will be set in Louisiana and explore the bond among a group of women like the original film. The original famously starred Sally Field, Shirley MacLaine, Olympia Dukakis, Dolly Parton, Daryl Hannah and Julia Roberts.
The remake will be directed by Kenny Leon, with the script written by Sally Robinson. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron will serve as producers. No cast or premiere date has been announced yet
Hopefully, they cast Phylicia Rashad and Loretta Devine. Gabrielle Union would be a nice fit for Julia Roberts character Shelby.
More from Rucuss
- Octavia Spencer Wants Hollywood to Know She’s Not Sherri Shepard! [Details]
- Rebooted ‘Scarface’ Film in the Works
- Tupac Biopic Headed to the Big Screen [Details]
- Lauren London Joins the Cast of BET’s The Game [Details]
- Julia Roberts’ Sister Found Dead in Apparent Drug Overdose
- Usher to Play Sugar Ray Leonard in Boxing Movie