Son of Former NBA Star Nick Van Exel Convicted of Murder! [Video]
Rucuss staffFebruary 1, 2013
Former NBA star Nick Van Exel watched his son get escorted out of the courtroom in handcuffs on Thursday.
His 22-year old son Nickey Van Exel was convicted of murder after only two-a-half hours of deliberation. Nick Van Exel, who is the Atlanta Hawks player development instructor, will have to wait to find out the penalty phase of the trial. Prosecutors are treating this as a capital case, NBC Sports reports.
Nickey Van Exel was found guilty of shooting his long-time friend Bradley Bassey Eyo with a shotgun in 2010. The two had been friends for about a dozen years, having played basketball together and lived basically across the street from one another.
Prosecutors believed retaliation was the motive because Eyo planned to tell authorities about several armed robberies the two men allegedly committed together in 2010. Nickey Van Exel’s lawyer claimed the shooting was an accident stemming from the two playing with a loaded shot gun at Van Exel’s home.
But the jury didn’t see it that way. After Nickey shot his friend he wrapped Eyo’s body up and dumped it near a bridge in Lake Ray Hubbard on the eastern outskirts of Dallas. He took Eyo’s shoes, phone and jewelry. Nickey also dumped the shotgun in a nearby creek.
Nick Van Exel was in the courtroom but left without comment. The first-degree felony carries a punishment from five years to life in prison.
More from Rucuss
- Eva Marcille, Kevin McCall Reveal Baby’s Name at Baby Shower [Photos]
- Beyonce’s Daughter Blue Ivy Looks Like She’s Four, Rocking Timberlands [Photos]
- Kim Kardashian Shares Photos Of Baby North West
- NBA Player Raymond Felton Arrested On Gun Charges [Details]
- Rumors Not True, Allen Iverson is Not Broke! [Details]
- NBA Player Kenyon Martin Selling His Texas Mansion For $5 Million [Photos]