Say What: Dionne Warwick Owes $10 Million in Taxes! [Details]
Rucuss staffMarch 26, 2013
Music legend Dionne Warwick has filed for bankruptcy in New Jersey.
The Grammy-award winner owes $10.7 million in taxes and fees to the Internal Revenue Service and the state of California. Warwick filed her petition on March 21 in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in New Jersey, the state where she was born, started her career and where she lives, TMZ reports.
Warwick’s publicist Kevin Sasaki said the filing was a result of “negligent and gross financial mismanagement” in the late 1980s until the mid-1990s, when her average monthly income was $20,950. Her taxes from the 90s have mostly been paid, but the interest and fees has sent her to bankruptcy court.
Warwick, 72, claims her monthly income is $20,950 but her monthly expenses are $20,940. She also claimed she only receives $1,000 a month in music royalties.
In the bankruptcy filing, Warwick said she still possesses two fur coats, two pairs of diamond earrings, gowns worth $5,000 and 10-year-old living room furniture, dining and bedroom sets, according to court documents obtained by TMZ. The Celebrity Apprentice alum also spends $5,000 a month on housekeeping and $4,000 a month on her personal assistant.
Dionne is best known for her hits, Do You Know The Way To San Jose?, Walk On By, That’s What Friends Are For and I Say A Little Prayer. She appeared in The Houstons: On Our Own, which chronicled the lives of Whitney Houston’s family after her untimely death. Warwick is Houston’s cousin.
Photos via CSMonitor and TheJasmineBrand
More from Rucuss
- Real Housewives of New Jersey’ Stars Teresa and Joe Giudice Plead Guilty In Fraud Case
- Whitney Houston’s Friend Robyn Crawford Writes Open Letter
- Teresa & Joe Giudice Freaking Out About Fraud Indictment! [Details]
- Are Angela and Vanessa Simmons Broke, Owe IRS $450K in Taxes
- Gucci Mane Proposes to Keyshia Ka’oir at Atlanta Hawks Game [Video]
- Mary J. Blige Hasn’t Paid Taxes in Years, Hit With $3.4 Million Tax Lien! [Details]