Rihanna Receives Icon Award at AMAs, Performs ‘Diamonds’ [Video]
Rucuss staffNovember 25, 2013
Rihanna receives her biggest accolade to date over the weekend.
The Pour It Up singer was the first recipient of the Icon Award at the 2013 American Music Awards at Sunday’s show at the Nokia Theatre. HBO host Bill Maher did the introduction before RiRi performed one of her 12 No/1 singles, Diamonds.
Rihanna rocked a long black sleeveless dress with a questionable hairdo. Her weave was wrapped with diamond-encrusted pins to keep it in place.
After RiRi’s performance, her mentor Jay-Z appeared via a videotaped message to congratulate his protégé.
“Between me and you, can you believe this shit?,” Jay said. “Unbelievable.”
Rihanna’s mother Monica Fenty then presented her daughter with the award.
“I know the journey and your career has not always been an easy one,” Fenty said. “But tonight I applaud and admire you for being so strong and so positive and so humble and so focused.”
Rihanna then thanked her family, L.A. Reid, her glam team, friends and her fans.
“Right now, I can’t believe that at 25 years old, I’m holding an Icon Award,” she said. “That is weird to even say out loud.”
Rihanna also won the award for Favorite Soul/R&B Female Artist. Check out the footage below.
Photos via Vibe.com, Rap-Up.com and UsMagazine
More from Rucuss
- Jennifer Lopez Pays Tribute to Celia Cruz at AMAs [Video]
- Manager Claims Rihanna Stole Her Artist’s Doobie Wrap [Details]
- Rihanna’s Hairstylist Ursula Stephen Talks About Doobie Wrap Backlash
- Rihanna Talks Being An Icon, Grammy Win, Viva Glam, & New Music on ‘GMA’
- Nicki Minaj, Usher, Justin Bieber, Pink & MC Hammer Perform at 2012 AMAs [Videos]
- TLC And Lil Mama Perform ‘Waterfalls’ At 2013 AMAs [Video]