Richie Incognito Defends Using Racist Slur, Says Jonathan Martin Texted Him
Rucuss staffNovember 10, 2013
Richie Incognito is finally telling his side of the story after being suspended by the Miami Dolphins indefinitely for his alleged bullying of Jonathan Martin.
On Sunday, Incognito sat down with Fox Sports analyst Jay Glazer to address those accusations. Incognito denies bullying Martin and claimed to be Martin’s most supportive teammate. He said he was genuinely surprised that Martin left the team and it became a national media firestorm.
Incognito defended using the n-word in a voicemail to Martin. He said that he knows some of the messages were inappropriate but it’s vulgar and its the NFL locker room culture. He said that his actions were coming from a place of love.
“When words are put in a context, I understand why a lot of eyebrows get raised,” Incognito said. “But people don’t know how Jon and I communicate to one another. For instance, a week before this went down, Jonathan Martin texted me on my phone, ‘I will murder your whole F’ing family.’
Incognito added, “Now, do I think Jonathan Martin was going to murder my family? Not one bit. He texted me that. I didn’t think he was going to kill my family. I knew that was coming from a brother. I knew it was coming from a friend. I knew it was coming from a teammate.”
Incognito also said that Martin texted him after the story went public. He revealed that there were 1142 text messages exchanged between himself and Martin.
Watch the interview below.
Photos via Nesn.com, Fox Sports and StrikeSportsNetwork.com
More from Rucuss
- Richie Incognito Reportedly Sent Racist Texts To Jonathan Martin [Details]
- Jonathan Martin Says Treatment By Teammates Went Beyond Hazing
- Miami Dolphins Veterans Reportedly Took ‘Rookie Tax’ To The Extreme [Details]
- NFL Player Richie Incognito Seeking Treatment At Rehab Facility
- Chad Johnson To Work Out For CFL’s Montreal Alouettes
- Peyton Manning Falls Flat In Super Bowl, Gets Clowned On Social Media