Padma Lakshmi Accused Of ‘Cultural Appropriation’ [Details]
Rucuss staffFebruary 9, 2019
Padma Lakshmi is receiving backlash on social media for her choice of hairstyle on the most recent episode of Top Chef.
Lakshmi has been accused of cultural appropriation for wearing her hair in cornrows for the episode filmed at the University of Kentucky’s basketball arena in Lexington last June. She also wore a white tank top with silver hoop earrings.
When the episode aired on Feb 7, viewers took to social media to express concern over the hairstyle, which has been worn by mostly black women.
‘Padma’s hairstylist must have a vendetta against her with theses struggle cornrows,’ one woman wrote on Twitter when the episode aired. Another tweeted at Lakshmi: ‘Your hair is an awful example of cultural appropriation. No, no, no.’
Lakshmi has not responded to the backlash.
Photos via Instagram
More from Rucuss
- Larsa Pippen Spotted Hanging At Future’s Miami Mansion [Details]
- First Look: Yaya DaCosta as Whitney Houston in Lifetime Biopic
- Fraternity Blames Blacks for Making Racially Insensitive Party About Race [Details]
- Bobbi Kristina Walks Off Tyler Perry Show In Tears [Details]
- HIV-Positive Man Secretly Films Himself Having Unprotected Sex With Multiple Men
- Basketball Wives Films Season 4 Reunion Without Any Violence [Photos]