Nicki Minaj Names Lil Kim, Foxy Brown & Remy Ma as Favorite Female Rappers [Video]
Rucuss staffMay 29, 2013
Nicki Minaj will “focus on rap” for her third studio album.
During an interview with New York Hot 97’s Peter Rosenberg and Ebro Darden, Minaj said that instead of experimenting with pop music, as she did on her sophomore studio album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded, she’s decided to return to her roots for the upcoming album.
Minaj is currently the hottest female rapper in the game and she shared who her favorite femcees were going up. Foxy Brown, Lauryn Hill, Remy Ma, and rival Lil’ Kim all made her short list.
“When Remy came out, I was very, very excited about her,” Minaj said. “With Foxy, Kim, and Remy, they were all from New York too, but it’s no disrespect to any other female rappers, but those are the ones that I felt like, ‘Yeah, I could get into that.’”
Minaj said she was able to relate to them.
“They sounded like me when I spoke,” she said. “I just thought they made an impact.”
Nicki also gave props to Missy Elliott and Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes.
“I always loved Missy ’cause she was playful and I always said, Missy and Left Eye, they weren’t afraid to be goofy at times and I loved that as well,” she said.
Nicki Minaj will begin writing and recording new material for her third album as soon as she wraps filming, The Other Woman, in which she plays Cameron Diaz’s assistant.
Watch Minaj talk about her favorite female rappers below.
More from Rucuss
- Nicki Minaj Blasts PARTYNEXTDOOR Over Ghostwriting Insinuations [Details]
- Nicki Minaj, Trey Songz Trade Words Over Remy Ma’s Diss Song ‘ShETHER’
- Remy Ma Drops Nicki Minaj Diss Track, Minaj Responds
- Safaree Samuels To Reportedly Sue Nicki Minaj
- Charlamagne Tha God Reveals Why He And Nicki Minaj Are Not Speaking
- Nicki Minaj, Lil Wayne Perform ‘High School’ at 2013 Billboard Music Awards [Video]