Nicki Minaj, Keith Urban Join Mariah Carey & Randy Jackson on American Idol
Rucuss staffSeptember 17, 2012
American Idol hopes the new additions of rapper Nicki Minaj and country singer Keith Urban will bring new life to the show.
Minaj and Urban will join the judges panel with Mariah Carey and the lone returning judge Randy Jackson, Fox announced on Sunday. Fox made the moves in an effort to boost star power and ratings for its 12th season in a crowded TV talent show field.
Carey joined the show in July. Jackson and host Ryan Seacrest are the only remaining members of the original line-up. Aerosmith frontman Steven Tyler and singer-actress Jennifer Lopez left the show at the end of last season after spending two years. It’s the first time the show had four judges since 2010.
The announcement comes months after rumors about Kanye West, Katy Perry, Enrique Iglesias, Nick Jonas and Miley Cyrus and former American Idol runner-up Adam Lambert were up for the two vacant spots.
The judges immediately jumped into action Sunday, auditioning singers at New York’s Lincoln Center. The 12th season will start broadcasting in January 2013.
More from Rucuss
- Randy Jackson is Out as American Idol Judge
- Girl Fight: Nicki Minaj Cusses Out Mariah Carey at Auditions [Video]
- Nicki Minaj Argues With Mariah Carey, Storms Off American Idol Set! [Video]
- Kelly Rowland, Ciara, Keri Hilson, Jordin Sparks & More Perform at 2012 VH1 Divas [Videos]
- Mariah Carey On American Idol: ‘It Was Like Going To Work in Hell With Satan’
- Nicki Minaj Blasts Access Hollywood Reporter For Calling Her ‘Ungracious & Unprofessional’ [Details]