NBA Player Amir Johnson Ejected After Tug Of War With Referee Over Ball [Video]
Rucuss staffDecember 11, 2012
Toronto Raptors player Amir Johnson loss his cool during a game against the Portland Trailblazers on Monday night.
Johnson’s habit of rubbing the ball before handing it to the referee during free throws got him in a world of trouble during the third quarter. Johnson and referee David Jones both tugged at the ball following a Portland free throw with 5:05 left in the period. They struggled over who would hold the ball, and it ended with Jones blowing his whistle and giving Johnson a technical foul for holding things up.
The technical foul caused Johnson to lose it. He threw his mouthguard in Jones’ direction while being restrained by players and coaches.
“I don’t know what happened with Amir. He kind of lost his mind there for a little bit,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said. “I told him we can’t have that on a night where we’re short-handed and we’re in a situation where we’re scrambling. We just gotta have more discipline than that.”
Johnson apologized for the incident and said it was out of character. He described the whole thing as childish.
“I think [it was childish] between both of us,” Johnson said. “We were both wrestling with the ball. That was kind of childish. We both either could of let it go or anything. That part was childish. Plus, on my part for reacting that way.”
Watch the tug of war and ejection below.
Photo via GreatFallsTribune
More from Rucuss
- Toronto Raptors Give Away Drake Lint Rollers To Fans [Details]
- Drake Receives the Key to Toronto [Details]
- Drake Uses Lint Roller While Sitting Courtside At Raptors Game [Video]
- Blazers And Warriors Get Into Brawl, 3 Players Ejected [Video]
- Charles Barkley Raps To ‘N*ggas In Paris,’ Buys Drinks At Auburn Bar [Video]
- Brandon Jacobs Tells New York Jets Coach Rex Ryan to Shut the F*ck Up!