Mary J. Blige’s Charity Being Sued [Details]
Rucuss staffMay 28, 2012
Mary J. Blige is feeling the heat once again this year.
First, Blige caught backlash from her hardcore fans when a Burger King commercial was leaked that showed the Queen of Hip Hop Soul singing about chicken. Burger King quickly shelved the commercial once it threatened sales of the company.
Now, Blige has come under fire once again, but this time it has to do with her charity foundation. The Foundation For The Advancement Of Women Now (FFAWN) is being sued by TD Bank and 30 musicians who claim they never received payment. One lawsuit claims FFAWN defaulted on a $250,000 loan while the musicians allege their checks that total $167,252 bounced after performing at a 2011 fundraising gala.
According to the New York Post, TD Bank approved a loan of $250,000 for FFAWN in June of 2011 and promised to be repaid in full by December 2011. However, when the time of payment arrived the charity did not pay up.
It’s also been reported that FFAWN failed to file a federal tax return in 2010. A source told The New York Post that the foundation had retained a charity consultant, a forensic accountant and a law firm specializing in nonprofits “to look into certain issues.”
Jay-Z donated $25,000 and Steve Stoute donated $35,000 in 2009. Gucci gave $50,000 and Walmart also contributed $33,500 the same year. Blige founded the charity with Stoute, a former record-company executive in 2007.
A statement recently released by one of Blige’s reps said, “The Mary J. Blige and Steve Stoute Foundation For The Advancement Of Women Now, Inc. is presently transitioning its management and headquarters.”
More from Rucuss
- WTF! Mary J. Blige Sings About Chicken in Burger King Commerical [Video]
- Mary J. Blige Responds to Burger King Ad Controversy [Details]
- Mary J. Blige Hasn’t Paid Taxes in Years, Hit With $3.4 Million Tax Lien! [Details]
- Mary J. Blige Sued Over Canceled Concert! [Details]
- Mary J. Blige Money Woes Continue, Allegedly Having Trouble Paying Rent! [Details]
- Mary J. Blige Claims Estranged Husband Won’t Return Cars and Grammy