Mary J. Blige Responds to Burger King Ad Controversy [Details]
Rucuss staffApril 5, 2012
In the wake of bad criticism generated by the Mary J. Blige Burger King commerical, the Queen of Hip-Hop Soul has finally addressed the issue.
Although Blige sang about chicken in a 30 second ad, she claims she never signed off on the ‘unfinished’ project. Blige appears standing on top of a table belting out the ingredients of the fast-food chain’s new Crispy Chicken Wrap to the soundtrack of her single “Don’t Mind.”
“I agreed to be a part of a fun and creative campaign that was supposed to feature a dream sequence, Blige told TMZ. “Unfortunately, that’s not what was happening in that clip. I understand my fans being upset by what they saw. But, if you’re a Mary fan, you have to know I would never allow an unfinished spot like the one you saw go out.”
Blige received a beating in the press by her fans over the new Burger King commercial. Some people felt the ad perpetuates old stereotypes about black people. Burger King immediately pulled the ad from its YouTube channel, but claimed it did so because of music-licensing issues.
A Burger King rep confirmed that the ad was released prematurely and a revised version of the commercial will air shortly. Rumors have surfaced that Blige received $2 million for the ad
Watch the commercial below.
More from Rucuss
- Mary J. Blige’s Charity Being Sued [Details]
- WTF! Mary J. Blige Sings About Chicken in Burger King Commerical [Video]
- Mary J. Blige Claims Estranged Husband Won’t Return Cars and Grammy
- Mary J. Blige Sued Over Canceled Concert! [Details]
- Girl Fight! Teyana Taylor Involved in Fight With Stripper at Liv Nightclub [Details]
- Mary J. Blige Sings National Anthem at All Star Game [Video]