Lance Armstrong’s Oprah Interview Scores Big Ratings [Details]
Rucuss staffJanuary 18, 2013
Oprah Winfrey scored huge numbers for OWN network Thursday night.
A whopping 3.2 million viewers tuned into part one of the 90-minute Oprah’s Next Chapter. According to Nielsen estimates, 1.1 million watched a repeat that followed. Oprah grilled Lance Armstrong about his past use of performance-enhancement drugs and oxygen-boosting blood transfusions while winning his seven Tour de France titles. He admitted to doping that began in the mid 90s.
“I viewed [taking drugs] as very simple—oxygen-boosting drugs that were incredibly beneficial for performance sports,” Armstrong said. “And that’s all you needed. My cocktail was only EPO—not a lot, transfusions and testosterone.”
When asked why he didn’t come clean sooner, Armstrong said: “I don’t know if I have a great answer. I will start my answer by saying this is too late…and that’s my fault. I view this situation as one big lie that I repeated many times.”
The interview didn’t break a previous record set in March 2012, which 3.5 million tuned in to watch the late Whitney Houston’s daughter Bobbi Kristina. Part two of Winfrey’s interview with Armstrong airs tonight at 9 ET/PT.
More from Rucuss
- Tyler Perry Announces New Self-Titled Talk Show
- Oprah Says Racism in Switzerland Kept Her From Buying Expensive Bag! [Details]
- Oprah Parties With Diddy, Kanye West And Kim Kardashian [Photos]
- Check Out Oprah’s $14 Million Colorado Home With 56 Ft. Wine Mine [Photos]
- Oprah’s Chai Teas Will Be Sold At Starbucks! [Details]
- Rush Limbaugh Says Oprah Experienced Discrimination Because She’s ‘Fat!’ [Audio]