PR Exec Loses Job After Joking On Twitter About Africa and AIDS [Details]
Rucuss staffDecember 22, 2013
A New York public relations executive lost her job on Saturday after she posted a message joking about AIDS in Africa on her Twitter account.
Justine Sacco was fired as IAC’s corporate communications director after posting the message and receiving backlash on social media.
Sacco tweeted before she boarded a flight, “Going to Africa. Hope I don’t get AIDS. Just kidding. I’m white!” The Twitter account has since been deleted but not before the tweet went viral.
Many called her tweet outrageous and offensive. The hashtag #HasJustineLandedYet skyrocketed amongst the top ones on Twitter’s list. Someone even registered the domain name justinesacco.com and directed it to the homepage of Aid for Africa.
It didn’t take long for IAC to distance its brand from the backlash. IAC announced Sacco was fired from the company on Saturday.
“The offensive comment does not reflect the views and values of IAC,” the company said in a statement on Saturday. “We take this issue very seriously, and we have parted ways with the employee in question.
There is no excuse for the hateful statements that have been made and we condemn them unequivocally. We hope, however, that time and action, and the forgiving human spirit, will not result in the wholesale condemnation of an individual who we have otherwise known to be a decent person at core.”
Photo via Twitter
More from Rucuss
- Vivica A. Fox Talks About Failed Engagement, Says She Fell For a Six-Pack and A Smile
- Tupac Shakur Sex Tape Sold!
- Someone Hates Their Job: Read One Of The Best “I Quit” Emails
- Trina’s Music Career Has Dried Up, Does Income Tax Commerical [Video]
- R. Kelly Tweets #AskRKelly Hashtag, Gets Clowned On Twitter [Details]
- Fetty Wap Apologizes For Drug-Themed Video Filmed At Jersey School