Jovan Belcher Questioned If He Was the Father of His Daughter [Details]
Rucuss staffDecember 14, 2012
Weeks after the tragic murder-suicide of Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Jovan Belcher and his girlfriend Kasandra Perkins, more details have emerged of the problems the couple were up against.
Belcher’s mother Cheryl Shepherd allegedly told investigators her son argued with Perkins over their baby’s paternity before he shot her dead and killed himself on December 1, The New York Post reports.
“The mother believed that there was an issue over whether (Belcher) was the father,” the source reportedly told the Post. “She said he (believed he) wasn’t necessarily the father of the child.”
A Kansas City law enforcement source also reportedly confirmed that there was a question about the paternity, adding that there was an implication that Belcher and Perkins may have been arguing about whether or not the child was his.
It’s unclear if the paternity issue was the reason for the final, violent end of the troubled relationship between Belcher, 25, and Perkins, 22.
“That would not be something they’re going to investigate,” Barnes explained. “It’s a ‘he-said, she-said’ so there’s no way to investigate. It would be nothing more than a civil matter.“
Zoey, the 3-month-old baby, will receive $1 million under the NFL’s life insurance policy from now until she turns 18 or 23 if she attends college. Sgt. Marisa Barnes, a Kansas City police spokeswoman, said the baby’s paternity will not be part of the department’s murder-suicide investigation.
More from Rucuss
- Jovan Belcher’s Friend: ‘Prescription Drugs, Alcohol & Concussions Put Him in Wrong State of Mind’
- Police Release 911 Calls From Jovan Belcher’s Murder-Suicide [Audio]
- Jovan Belcher’s Mother Cheryl Shepherd Frantic 911 Call Released [Audio]
- Kansas City Chiefs’ Jovan Belcher Kills Girlfriend Then Takes His Own Life [Details]
- Jovan Belcher Kissed Kasandra Perkins and Apologized After Killing Her [Details]
- Terrell Owens Cut From Seattle Seahawks Roster