Jermaine Dupri Says Ciara ‘I Bet’ Is a Usher Rip Off [Details]
Rucuss staffMarch 16, 2015
The Blurred Lines lawsuit as sparked a fury in the music industry.
In the wake of a $7.4 million payout to Marvin Gaye’s estate for song infringement, others are seeking compensation for borrowed styles.
Dupri told AP that he understands both sides of the song infringement ordeal.
On one hand, he says he’s been inspired by music from the past for his own work. On the other hand, JD said he wants to be credited for songs that have been influenced by his material. And he used Ciara’s “I Bet” as an example.
“Ciara’s new single is a complete rip-off of Usher’s ‘U Got It Bad.’ I’m clear on what I made and I’m clear on how music influences people and I’m clear on chord changes and how people move things,” Dupri said. “It might not be as evident as the ‘Blurred Lines’ situation, but I believe the same thing happened to me.”
More from Rucuss
- Check Out Ciara’s Whitney Houston Dance Tribue
- Mariah Carey Splits With Manager Jermaine Dupri [Details]
- Jermaine Dupri, Anthony Hamilton, Da Brat & More Attend So So Def Castle Party [Photos]
- Jermaine Dupri Pens Letter to Mariah Carey’s Fans Who Blame Him For Album Sales
- Jermaine Dupri: ‘I’m Not Broke, and I’m Not Losing So So Def’s Catalog!’ [Details]
- Ciara Served With Lawsuit While Performing on Stage [Video]