Guest Charged With Rape at Chicago Bears’ player home
Rucuss staffSeptember 14, 2011
Brandon Meriweather probably wishes he didn’t invite his friend over this summer.
According to the Sun Chronicle, James Roberts, 29, of Biloxi, Miss., was arrested for allegedly raping a woman this summer at Meriweather’s home. Roberts was arrested on a warrant as he drove away from Meriweather’s home on Aug. 25.
Roberts pleaded innocent during his arraignment. Roberts is free on $10,000 bail. A pre-trial conference has been scheduled for Sept. 20.
Police have not said if Meriweather was home during the alleged incident that took place on July 13. Meriweather has not been charged.
Meriweather, 27, was a member of the New England Patriots at the time of the incident. He was released by the team on Sept. 3 and signed by the Chicago Bears.
Meriweather has had brushes with the law before. Police interviewed Meriweather in March about a shooting that injured two men outside a bar near his hometown in Florida. He was not charged.
While attending the University of Miami, Meriweather was involved in a shooting in October 2006. Police ruled that Meriweather used his gun legally. He returned fire after shots were fired at Hurricanes teammate Willie Cooper as they stood in their yard.
More from Rucuss
- Former NFL Player Aaron Hernandez Caught Holding Gun on Surveillance Camera! [Photos]
- Jameis Winston Will Not Be Charged With Sexual Assault [Details]
- Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski Dances, Patriots Receive Super Bowl Rings [Video]
- Aaron Hernandez Reportedly Attacked Another Inmate [Details]
- Aaron Hernandez’s Jailhouse Letter Leaked, Says He’s Innocent [Details]
- Tom Brady’s Ugg Commercial