Say What: Is Floyd Mayweather Coming Out Of Retirement?
Rucuss staffMay 1, 2016
Floyd Mayweather could possibly be coming out of retirement.
Although Mayweather hung up his boxing gloves in 2015 after 49 professional matches, the champ may be considering entering the ring again. During a professional match on April 30, Mayweather talked to Showtime about getting back into the ring.
But he was very honest about his motives. He will fight because of the payday.
“As of right now, some crazy numbers have been thrown my way–upwards, of course, of nine figures,” Mayweather told Showtime, “but I’m truly blessed beyond belief, and I really don’t know what we’re going to do.”
After Mayweather beat Andre Berto in September 2015, he insisted that he would remain retired despite many fans’ cries for him to recant his decision. But it looks like he spoke a little too fast.
Mayweather was one of the top pay-per-view attractions during his career, racking in over $1.3 billion in revenue. His highly publicized fight against Manny Pacquiao in May 2015, reportedly generated $220 million.
If numbers were anywhere close to the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, it could be a hard decision for him to turn down. But for right now, Mayweather says he’s fine with watching from the sidelines.
“…I’m really happy being on this side helping out fighters,” Mayweather said. Besides, he says the competition isn’t on his level quite yet.
More from Rucuss
- Say What: Is Floyd Mayweather Jr. Planning Ring Walk With Lil Terio?!
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Insults Nelly & Shantel Jackson During Interview, Nelly Responds
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Beats Canelo Alvarez By Majority Decision [Photos]
- Adrien Broner TKO’s Ashley Theophane, Calls Out Floyd Mayeather
- T.I. Calls Out Floyd Mayweather For His ‘All Lives Matter’ Comments [Details]
- 50 Cent Accepts $5 Million Offer, Claims He Will Knock Floyd Mayweather Out! [Details]