Dwyane Wade Talks Fashion And Painting His Toe Nails
Rucuss staffOctober 28, 2011
Dwyane Wade has become one of the NBA’s most stylish players.
Wade, who hardly ever combed his hair during his first season, has gone from wearing baggy army fatigues to fitted suits with a pop of bold colors. It’s taken about three years for Wade to evolve into this trendy dresser.
“I’m on a team with LeBron James and Chris Bosh, and they both dress well,” Wade told GQ Magazine. “It gets competitive. If I don’t bring my A game, they’re going to outshine me.”
Wade told GQ that he teamed up with stylist Calyann Barnett to put together his look. She sends photos to his iPad before she buys clothes to fill up his new 800-square-foot closet.
“When we first started working together, she was just trying to get the baggy jeans off me,” Wade said. “I used to wear 2X and 3X shirts. Now I’m in a large. At first people were talking about me. But now everyone is wearing their clothes more fitted.”
“I’ve played for the Miami Heat my whole career under Pat Riley, Mr. GQ himself. So when I pick out my outfits before a game, I’m already feeling confident. And some of that swagger stays with me when I take the court.”
Wade admits he likes to paint his toenails. Well, a pedicurist does it for him.
“At first I thought, ‘Nah, I can’t do that,” he told GQ. “They’re going to kill me.’ But eventually I decided to try it.”
Wade went to Miami’s Mondrian hotel and asked for the ‘Marilyn Manson’ treatment.
“Later I was on vacation in the Bahamas with LeBron,” Wade says, laughing, “and when he saw my toes he was like, ‘Something is seriously wrong with you.’ But eventually Bron was like, ‘You know what? You’re crazy, but that’s just you.’ When I first got into the league, I tried to fit in. Now I don’t care.”
More from Rucuss
- NBA Fashion: Lebron James Makes Fun of Dwyane Wade’s Pants [Photos]
- LeBron James, Dwyane Wade Host Party at the Compound [Photos]
- NBA Fashion: Dwyane Wade Wears Mint Green Tie With Finger Wrap, Chris Bosh Wears Peach Pants [Photos]
- NBA Fashion: Dwyane Wade Wears Skinny Jeans and Carries Red Man Purse [Photos]
- Miami Heat Star Chris Bosh Enjoys Champagne Shower After Winning NBA Championship [Video/Photos]
- The Miami Heat, Wives Visit President Obama at the White House [Photos]