Donald Sterling Denies Being A Racist In New Audio
Rucuss staffMay 9, 2014
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has a new audio recording out in which he tries to convince everyone that he’s not a racist.
Radar Online posted an audio recording of Sterling trying to convince a caller that he loves blacks and Hispanics. The audio was leaked on Thursday after a previous audio tape of Sterling released by TMZ contained the Clippers’ owner telling his girlfriend, Vanessa Stiviano, that she should not bring black people to Clippers games or post photos of herself with black people on Instagram.
“You think I’m a racist?” Sterling asks on new audio. “You think I have anything in the world but love for everybody? You don’t think that! You know I’m not a racist!”
A previous report said friends were avoiding calls from Sterling because they figured he was trying to get a recording of someone vouching for his character. It sounds like he may have found one person to pick up the phone this time.
“I grew up in East L.A …” Sterling said. “I was the president of the high school there. I mean, and I’m a Jew! And 50% of the people there were black and 40% were hispanic. … So I mean, people must have a good feeling for me.”
Sterling continues, “It breaks my heart that Magic Johnson, a guy that I respect so much, wouldn’t stand up and say, ‘Well let’s get the facts. Let’s get him and talk to him.’ Nobody tried. Nobody! You can’t force someone to sell property in America. Well, I’m a lawyer, that’s my opinion.”
Unfortunately this new recording comes a little too late. The NBA banned Sterling for life and said it would encourage NBA franchise owners to vote to force a sale of the Clippers.
Sterling’s wife, Shelly, said she owns 50 percent of the team and wants to keep it. Listen to the audio below.
More from Rucuss
- Donald Sterling Banned From NBA For Life, League Will Try To Force Him Out
- Magic Johnson Reportedly Interested In Buying Los Angeles Clippers [Details]
- Fans Call For Boycott Of Clippers After Audio Of Owner’s Racist Comments Leak [Audio]
- Los Angeles Clippers Turn Warmup Uniforms Inside Out In Pregame Protest
- LA NAACP President Resigns Amid Donald Sterling Controversy
- Donald Sterling Says He’s Not Racist, Slams Magic Johnson During Interview [Video]