Ariana Grande Says She’s Tired of Being Treated Like Men’s ‘Property’ [Details]
Rucuss staffJune 8, 2015
Ariana Grande doesn’t like to be called someone’s ex.
And she feels that other women shouldn’t either. The Break Free singer is blasting her critics in an open letter on social media.
Since her breakup with Big Sean, she’s been referred to as the rapper’s ex, but that doesn’t sit well with her and she’s taking a stand against society’s double standards and misogyny. Grande wants people to value her and other women by their accomplishments and not by “who they’re dating/married to/attached to, having sex with (or not).”
“I am tired of living in a world where women are mostly referred to as a man’s past, present or future PROPERTY/POSSESION,” writes Grande, who’s avoided “boy questions” in interviews.
When a women has sex, “she’s a slut,” explains Grande. But a man is “regaled” if he “talks or RAPS” about “bitches or hoes.”
Grande ends her letter with a quote from feminist activist Gloria Steinem: “Any woman who chooses to behave like a full human being should be warned that the armies of the status quo will treat her as something of a dirty joke. That’s their natural and first weapon. She will need her sisterhood.”
Read Ari’s powerful words below.
More from Rucuss
- Couple Alert: Ariana Grande And Big Sean Spotted Holding Hands [Details]
- Rapper Big Sean Opens Up About His Girlfriend: ‘I Got Something Special’ [Video]
- Kendrick Lamar Says He’s Trying To Murder J. Cole, Drake, Big Sean & Wale, Rappers React [Details]
- Big Sean Fondles Stripper After Confirming Relationship With Naya Rivera! [Photo]
- Couple Alert: Big Sean Goes Public With New Girlfriend Naya Rivera [Photos]
- Big Sean Talks Ariana Grande Relationship & New Album [Video]