Aretha Franklin Calls Off Engagement! [Details]
Rucuss staffJanuary 23, 2012
Aretha Franklin has had a change of heart.
The legendary singer released a statement Monday calling off her wedding to Willie Wilkerson who she was engaged to for only three weeks. Franklin, 69, announced her engagement to the much younger Wilkerson on Jan. 3.
“Will and I have decided we were moving a little too fast, ” the statement said. “there were a number of things that had not been thought through thoroughly. There will be no wedding at this time.”
“We will not comment on it any further because of the very personal and sensitive nature of it. We appreciate all of the many well wishes from friends.”
No word on whether Aretha and Willie are still a couple, but there won’t be a wedding in Miami or the Hamptons as previously reported. This would have been the Queen of Soul’s third marriage.
Franklin was wed to Ted White for eight years before the two divorced in 1969. She ended her six-year marriage to actor Glynn Turman in 1984.
More from Rucuss
- Aretha Franklin Is Engaged, But Is She A Sugar Mama?
- Vivica A. Fox Talks About Failed Engagement, Says She Fell For a Six-Pack and A Smile
- Aretha Franklin Performs Just Hours After Backing Out of Whitney Houston’s Funeral
- Soul Train Creator Don Cornelius Found Dead in Apparent Suicide
- Deion Sanders Files For Divorce Again
- Vanessa Bryant’s Ex-Stepfather Says She’s a Gold Digger Like Her Mother