Aaliyah’s Family Wants to Stop Lifetime Biopic [Details]
Rucuss staffJune 19, 2014
Aaliyah’s family is not on board for the Lifetime biopic.
The late singer’s family plans to do whatever it takes to stop production of the film. Earlier in the week, it was announced that Zendaya Coleman would play the late singer in the tentatively titled Aaliyah: Princess of R&B, which is based off Christopher Farley’s best-selling biography Aaliyah: More Than a Woman.
Aaliyah’s uncle and former manager, Barry Hankerson told TMZ that the singer’s family is upset that no one from the network contacted them about the movie. The family will take action to prevent Lifetime from using any of Aaliyah’s music and has hired a lawyer to block the release of the film.
Hankerson said Aaliyah’s family is open to the idea of a big, theatrical film, but feels that a TV movie is too small for the superstar. Aaliyah’s family is not the only one boycotting the film. Fans have started an online petition to recast the Disney Channel star in the role of Aaliyah.
More from Rucuss
- Viewers Make Fun of Lifetime’s Aaliyah: The Princess of R&B Movie [Details]
- Zendaya Coleman Drops Out Of Aaliyah Biopic [Details]
- Zendaya Coleman Will Play Aaliyah in Lifetime Biopic [Details]
- 50 Cent to Host BET Late Night Variety Show, Other Shows Added [Details]
- CeeLo Green Addresses Exploding Phone Video [Details]
- Vivica A. Fox Talks About Failed Engagement, Says She Fell For a Six-Pack and A Smile