A Modern Day Titantic, Italy Cruise Ship Sinks! [Photos]
Rucuss staffJanuary 14, 2012
Three people are dead and at least 50 more are still unaccounted for after a luxury cruise liner carrying more than 4,200 people ran aground off the coast of Italy on Friday.
There were scenes of panic as the Costa Concordia hit a sandbar on Friday evening near the island of Giglio. Most people reached land by lifeboats but some swam to shore in the 20 degree water. It all happened during dinner time. It was hours before a planned evacuation drill, leaving passengers to jump off the ship into the frigid waters.
Coast guard vessels are combing the waters around the ship, while divers are searching the submerged decks for the missing passengers. Italian, German, French and British nationals were among the 3,200 passengers on board. There were also 1,000 crew.
According to Costa Cruises and cruise industry websites, the cruise ship has 1,500 cabins, including 12 suites, five restaurants, 13 bars, four swimming pools, five jacuzzi whirlpool baths, a 64,600 square foot spa with gym, sauna, Turkish bath, solarium, sports pitch, cinema, theatre, casino and disco.
This accident happened three months shy of the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic. Check out the photos below.
(Photos via BBC)
More from Rucuss
- Kelly Rowland to Publish First Book ‘Whoa, Baby!’ [Details]
- Prince’s Estate Rejects Jay Z’s Bid for Unreleased Music Catalog [Details]
- Ludacris And Eudoxie Are Already Married! [Details]
- Trey Songz Talks About Arrest, Keke Palmer & Reality Show On ‘The Breakfast Club’
- Kelly Rowland Shows Off Bare Baby Bump [Photos]
- Video: Shia LaBeouf Punched In Head on Sidewalk